Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Day 58 20/5/06 - Canada

Richmond -> Capilano -> Grouse Mountain -> Richmond

Highlight

  • Trying the first of what is supposed to be many yum cha experiences. Yet again, the Asian food here beats Oz hands down. I'm going to find it hard to eat Asian in Sydney now... at least I can still drink coffee and eat fruit...
  • Capilano is famous for its suspension bridge, which was in existence since the late 1800s. It's been a tourist attraction for a long time. The actual bridge is very long, and very rocky. There were heaps and heaps of scared people trying to walk across it, which is really funny, but apart from that, the whole park and rainforest area is pretty boring. Slokky's aunty told us a story of how a woman actually threw her child over the bridge a couple of years back though, so now they have guards watching the bridge at all times.
  • Grouse Mountain is a mountain on the edge of Vancouver. You take a cable car up to the top. The top was really beautiful, but cold, really cold. In winter you can actually ski there, and not all the ice has melted yet. There is supposed to be a fine view of Vancouver from the top, but unfortunately for us, it was too foggy to see. We did see one grizzly bear in the "Bear Habitat", as well as watching the "World famous lumberjack show", which was very very funny.
  • I got sick from the cold after that, so the rest of the day passed by in agony. I did manage to go out to dinner though, see, food comes first. This time we went to another Asian place. I am sad to report that the food wasn't as good as previous Asian, but it was still pretty darn good.
  • I'm starting to catch up on my Asian TV, in the past few days I've watched about 6 or 7 different "dramas". All I can say is that people get amnesia a lot...

Food

  • Morning yum cha:
    • prawn dumplings
    • crab dumplings
    • pork dumplings
    • rice noodles wrapped fried bread
    • pork and sausage rice
    • fried yam and scallops
    • cake with sticky rice
    • fried yam cakes
    • mango and coconut cakes
  • Chinese dinner:
    • winter melon soup
    • Hainanese chicken + rice
    • garlic fried veges
    • tofu with mushrooms and chicken pieces
    • curry beef briskets
    • dessert soup
  • strawberries and orange

No comments: