Sunday, October 05, 2008

Day 5 6/12/07 - USA

San Francisco

Highlight

  • Another rainy day, at least there’s no fog (yet)
  • Slokky made me walk a long way to Noah’s Bagel, even though there was one closer, and didn’t take the blame for it.
  • Another long bus ride out and changes to Golden Gate Park to view the Golden Gate Bridge. The bus stopped in the middle of the park. I snapped loads of pictures, but I couldn’t see that well, since the fog has started again.
  • I didn’t have time to walk across and had to fight with the Chinese tourists to take photos.
  • Caught another bus to the Palace of Fine Arts – very pretty, probably more so in the rain, giving it a mysterious quality. Fought with another truck load of Chinese, one who actually told me to move away so she could take a photo!
  • Heaps and heaps of kids at the Exploratorium. It was definitely heaps of fun, but a lot of exhibits I’ve already done at the Science Centre at Valencia. Still, it’s always fun to play with. I did about half of the museum before I had to leave.
  • Another bus back to Fisherman’s Wharf to pick up my Go San Francisco Pass. They seemed to have given me a 5 day pass instead of the 1 day, so that meant I had a huge change of plans.
  • Lunch at the stand up bars at Fishermans wharf. No tourists today as the rain was very ejavy. Nick’s Lighthouse, the stand with heaps of people, ignored me, so I went next door instead. The meal was not that nice, there was no seafood
  • I had only 2.5 hours left in the day to use my card, and I wanted to do the bakery tour at Boudin, but it wasn’t running today for some reason, so went to the Wax Museum instead.
  • It was very scary, not for the right reasons though, more for the fact that I was the only one there and the figures looked really ugly and nothing like the real people they were representing.
  • Tried to go to the Asian Art Museum, but got very stuck in traffic, and didn’t get across town until 4:30, so didn’t get to go.
  • Missed Zeum as well, so spent about 40 minutes at Y and the Dalai lama exhibit.
  • Slokky was 10 minutes late to meet up, so I could’ve spent the time finishing the exhibit afterall.
  • SFMMA – finished Matisse and did the Olafur Eliasson with the BMW, the freezer and the light effects, very cool.
  • Then joined a really crappy supposed “highlight” tour. Instead I got told how to use the stairs and read signs, and wasted 45 minutes of my time.
  • Only got to finish the “box artish” Joseph before the museum closed.
  • I was still full from my late lunch, so cancelled our Waterfront booking to go to Chinatown instead. Big disappointment. It was very boring, everything was closed, and there was no people in any of the restaurants.
  • Back to Union Square, Macy for fast food.
  • Managed to get my dress for the Christmas party in record time.
  • It was raining very hard, and we couldn’t get a bus, so got soaked walking back to the hotel.

Food

  • Noah’s bagel breakfast:
    • sun dried tomato, peppers and pesto with onion and chive "shmear"
    • sourdough with garlic herb shmear
  • Sabella and LaTorre’s clam chowder in a sourdough bread roll
  • Jamba Juice peanut butter moo’d smoothie – all natural peanut butter, bananas, choc moo’d bake, non fat frozen yoghurt, soy milk
  • macaroni and cheese
  • shoe string chips with ketchup.

No comments: